I had such a lovely response to Lucy's birthday outfit (thanks everyone!) so I thought I'd finish the first birthday posts with a tutorial sharing how to make her cute headband including the pretty yo-yo embellishment.
This is a really easy project and a great way to use scraps left over from making bigger sewing projects for your little girl.
I used my measuring tape and measured around Lucy's head where she would be wearing the headband. She measured 45cm, which I estimate would be an average size for a 9 to 12 month old.
For the headband you need:
Two fabric strips 35 x 10cm and 6 x 12cm
One strip of elastic - 10cm
(Large fabric strip plus elastic = total head measurement)
For the Yo-yo, you need:
A small amount of contrasting fabric
A needle & thread
Circular template (I used a small bowl)
Cut your fabric and elastic.
1 & 2. Press your raw edges in.
3. Fold each strip of fabric in half and press.
4.Topstitch along long edges of both strips leaving ends open.
5. Using a safety pin, thread your elastic through the small fabric strip.
6. Pin the end so it doesn't pull all the way through.
7. Carefully slip elastic casing into the ends of the headband and pin into place.
8. Stitch into place, reversing to ensure that elastic is securely stitched into place.
Snip stray threads and your headband is complete!
I love yo-yos. They are such a simple thing to make, a great way to use scraps, and are a really pretty embellishment to a sewing project. You can buy yo-yo making tools at craft stores, but I make basic ones, then hide the untidy middle with a pretty button from my extensive op-shop stash!
1. Trace around something circular to get your shape. Remember that your finished yo-yo will be half the size. As you can see I have used a small bowl.
2. Cut out your fabric circle.
3. Thread a needle and knot the end, then sew around the edge of the circle with a simple gathering stitch.
4. Once you have stitched all the way around, pull the thread so the circle gathers into the centre. You will have to manipulate the fabric a bit to get the yo-yo to the desired shape.
Add a couple of stitches to secure the centre of the yo-yo, then stitch on your button.
Beautiful! Now stitch your yo-yo in place on your headband.
Place on your gorgeously dressed baby and take HEAPS of photos quick!! Before bubs tries to rip her headband off!
If you make one, I'd LOVE to see it! Please share it at the Sew Delicious flickr pool!